Resources from the DEI Buzz
The COMSEP DEI Advisory Group will periodically share resources with the membership and information from the collaboratives about what they are working on from a DEI perspective.
Collected by: Terry Kind, Deepika Singh, Maya Neeley
Click a section below to explore the resources.
Research/PubMed Indexed Studies: allyship, anti-racism, implicit bias, medical education
- Addressing Microaggressions In Academic Medicine - PubMed. Our pediatric learners and colleagues may be part of the Microaggression Triangle and in this one-pager are ideas for what bystanders, recipients, and institutions can do to address microaggressions. Please consider sharing with your learners and colleagues at your institutions.
- See the Anti-Racism in Medicine Collection from MedEdPORTAL for ideas for what you can implement at your school, on your clerkship, and/or individually. There is also a call for submissions. MedEdPORTAL invites authors, owners, and contributors to submit their work for publication consideration and inclusion in the Anti-racism in Medicine Collection.
- Biased language can perpetuate health care disparities and negatively affects quality of care. Consider reviewing "Words Matter: An Antibias Workshop for Health Care Professionals to Reduce Stigmatizing Language" by Raney J, Pal R, Lee T, et al, published in MedEdPORTAL. It includes Mindful Language Toolkit and other resources which you may find helpful to review with your trainees.
- Confronting Anti-Asian Racism and Health Disparities in the Era of COVID-19
- Excellent graffiti-esque mosaic art created by a medical student and published in the AMA Journal of Ethics. Black Determinants of Health | Journal of Ethics | American Medical Association
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals who are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD. A Resource for Medical Educators by AAMC: https://store.aamc.org/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/129/
- Checklist For LGBT Curriculum Inclusion prepared by Shane Snowdon
- Eliminating Race-Based Medicine policy statement from the AAP. Eliminating Race-Based Medicine by Wright JL, Davis WS, Joseph MM, Ellison AM, Heard-Garris NJ, Johnson TL, and the AAP Board Committee on Equity in Pediatrics.
- Use of Race in Pediatric Clinical Practice Guidelines: A Systematic Review by Gilliam CA, Lindo EG, Cannon S, Kennedy L, Jewell TE, Tieder JS in JAMA Pediatrics.
- Reviewing Internal Medicine Clerkship Grading Through a Pro Equity Lens: Results of a National Survey
- Perspectives on climate change in medical school curricula—A survey of U.S. medical students - ScienceDirect
- Climate Effects on Health | CDC