COMSEP Statement of Inclusivity
The Council on Medical Student Education in Pediatrics (COMSEP) recognizes and acknowledges the longstanding negative impacts of bias, inequities, overt and subtle discrimination, and racism on medical education and healthcare. As pediatric medical educators, we continue to see the impact of these factors on medical learners, faculty, and administrative staff, particularly those related to race, ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religious beliefs, and disability. COMSEP is committed to dismantling the systems that perpetuate and promote disparities within medical education and patient care. As an organization, we are dedicated to continually educating ourselves and others and promoting the creation of equitable and inclusive learning environments.
COMSEP’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Resource and Advisory Committee serves a central role in advancing anti-discrimination and anti-racism by:
- Partnering with the Executive Committee, Collaboratives, and other groups within COMSEP to foster diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, which are integral to all work
- Consulting on new policies/procedures and advising on the use of equity impact tools
- Providing a representative to serve on the Nominations and Awards Committee to ensure inclusivity in leadership and awards
- Disseminating personal and career development resources in areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice
- Supporting COMSEP members and the trainees and communities we serve, especially in areas pertaining to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice