New Members Welcome!
So now you have a new role in medical education and you don't know where to start? Welcome to COMSEP! You have come to the right place. We have all walked in your shoes and found tremendously supportive individuals in this organization. For many of us this is the most supportive environment we experience as educators. Having the opportunity to meet with others that do the same job as you can really enhance the education programs at your local schools.
How to get started:
To learn more about becoming a member of COMSEP, please contact the Executive Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 556-9222. Members may be sponsored by your school if LCME accredited. You may also join on your own!
Your first steps as a new member:
- New members - (even up to 3-4 years of participation) should strongly consider taking the pre conference workshop on setting up a clerkship at the national meeting. Frankly, taking it twice - is often helpful. These are the New Clerkship Director preconference workshops.
- New members (even up to 3-4 years of participation) should try to attend all aspects of the annual meeting - including the Business Meeting and especially the Task Forces. You will hear about current initiatives and challenges in medical education. The best way to contribute is to volunteer immediately - you can be sure that you will get a lot of guidance on whatever you want to work on in pediatric medical education. Choose the Task Force that sounds most interesting to you - and you may move from one to another at your desire. Get involved! More information on the Task Forces are on other pages on our website
- Annual Meeting - welcome. There is always networking time at receptions and meals and at free time. All of our members go out of our way to welcome new COMSEP meeting participants! The President and Officers of COMSEP and other senior members are always available for informal discussions of issues locally or nationally in pediatric medical student education.
- Mentoring Lunch: One of the lunches will have each table hosted by at least 2-3 - folks who are either senior - or becoming senior in their number of years of experience.
- If you would like to get hooked up with someone for advice and career support, COMSEP has a new member mentorship program so that an experienced member will look for you and get you started at the meetings. Email Bill Wilson at WGW@virginia.edu
- Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions and just enjoy yourself. You're amongst friends at COMSEP! While not required, dancing is an expectation at our social events!